You know what makes a great gift? Bourbon. You know what makes an even better gift? Bourbon that you’ve lovingly infused over several months to taste like a classic American dessert, apple pie. DIY Apple Pie Bourbon makes an amazing gift to friends and contacts. Yes, of course I use American bourbon for this!
My first try was a small batch. My second try was a medium batch. And for my third and final try, I just made several gallons of the stuff. Frankly, I go through it like candy, both at events we host at the house and as gifts. So I big batch it. The recipe below is for a small batch.
A couple of notes:
WATCH OUT FOR THE SPICES. There’s a reason that I specify ONE allspice berry. Do you want all spice bourbon with a hint of apple? NO YOU DO NOT. You want Apple Pie Bourbon. ONE ALLSPICE BERRY.
The sweet spot for this infusion seems to be three months. One month isn’t long enough, sometimes two months is OK (seems to depend on the apples and the bourbon). Three months is always enough. And there’s no appreciable difference between three months and four.
DIY Apple Pie Bourbon Recipe
Ingredients for Apple Pie Bourbon
- 3 cups bourbon
- 4 apples (more-or-less depending on size, I prefer tart varieties to sweet, but don’t over complicate this recipe — just find yourself some apples)
- 5 sticks of cinnamon
- 5 cloves
- 1 allspice berry
Instructions for Apple Pie Bourbon
- Wash and slice your apples.
- Fill your mason jar with apple slices.
- Add cloves, the all spice berry, and cinnamon.
- Fill jar with bourbon.
- Close and let it sit for at least three months, shaking it weekly.
- Strain and enjoy your amazing American-As-Apple-Pie Bourbon.